Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Denise Scott Brown's advice to young architects

"Denise Scott Brown: Architecture is a difficult career. You probably shouldn’t be an architect unless you absolutely have to because it’s a hard career, you will never earn very much, you’ll work long hours, it’s not up to you when you work, and it can be very heartbreaking when everything you want to do you find you can’t do.

Robert Venturi: You have to be very dedicated.

Denise Scott Brown: If you’re not drawing all day and doodling plans, don’t do it. But if you do, give it everything you’ve got."

(http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/art-news/2010/01/26/venturi-scott-brown-reflect-vegas/)

The part about it being very heartbreaking when everything you want to do you find you can't do...that's what worries me the most.
Sometimes I just don't think I have the personality (or enough obsession) for this field.
No, this is not my way of saying that I'm contemplating switching majors anytime soon. I want the BArch. I just want to know what I'm getting myself into.

------------------------------

an afterthought -

mom says don't think about it until I am thirty and have established some things, there is no use.
live in the present, I'm going to give it everything I've got.

No comments:

Post a Comment