Thursday, December 22, 2011

Bridge to Terabithia and God

"Do you believe people go to hell, really go to hell, I mean?"
"You ain't worrying about Leslie Burke?"
It did seem peculiar, but still - "Well, May Belle said...."
"May Belle? May Belle ain't God."
"Yeah, but how do you know what God does?"
"Lord, boy, don't be a fool. God ain't gonna send any little girls to hell."

I recently reread Bridge to Terabithia and watched the film adaptation, since I'm using the book to tutor a fifth grade boy in English. I don't recall this part at all.
This book disturbs me - the entire plot, but especially this part. It also kinda disturbs me that it never occurred to me to pray about which books I assign to the kids I tutor. I wonder whether I am doing a good job of presenting these kinds of topics to kids that pray everyday for sick relatives and see their grandpa do his quiet time in the study every morning.

Anyways, I found a little essay for tomorrow's lesson about the book's history of censorship. Hopefully discussing it will be fruitful for us in more ways than just increasing his Lexile / TAKS scores.

No comments:

Post a Comment