Saturday, April 28, 2012

ambition inspired by approval


------------------------------------------------------------

Apart from God, our quest for greatness is often a search for approval. I want to be applauded and esteemed. I live for praise. I attempt great things because I crave being celebrated. Selfish ambition is often a desperate quest for an earthly "Atta-boy", a drive to fashion a world that worships me.
The gospel brings me explosive news: my search for approval is over. In Christ I already have all the approval I need.
Because Christ's righteousness has been transferred to me, all the time and energy I once squandered trying to be liked or praised or to achieve something to validate my existence can now be redirected toward doing things for God's glory. I no longer live for approval; I live from approval.


Make no mistake. Sin is real, and we can sin away a lot of good stuff. Sin robs our joy in God. It's a delight-smasher. But sin never alters or reverses what Christ did upon the cross. It never causes God to withdraw his name or his acceptance from us.
So the rescue of godly ambition is now under way.
Do you struggle with the paralysis of analysis, unable to act boldly because you're wondering what people will think? Do you fear falling short of your goals or that God will somehow be displeased with you for not doing what he really wanted you to do?
You stand in the righteousness of Christ - and you possess all the approval you'll ever need. Don't spend another moment trying to be great in the eyes of men. Instead, be ambitious.


Eager to find out what Dave Harvey means by the last sentence.

1 comment:

  1. oooh this looks like a REALLY interesting books, hannah! tell me about it sometime? =D

    ReplyDelete