Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Andy Goldsworthy and related thoughts

listening to: Terra Naomi "Say It's Possible"
thinking about: the two people I dreamed about last night, scheduling workout time, mural ideas for a pastel yellow wall
thanking Him for: fresh dfw rain, Appa being home, everything my boss teaches me, 2 Peter 1:5-9 & accountability, art

my boss introduced me to the British artist Andy Goldsworthy yesterday.





http://www.goldsworthy.cc.gla.ac.uk/images/l/ag_02945.jpg
http://www.goldsworthy.cc.gla.ac.uk/images/l/ag_02946.jpg

transience, ruthlessness, surrender, flow
Watched "Rivers and Tides" (documentary about his work) this morning at Panera, definitely need to watch it over again when my eye isn't hurting and I'm not in a rush.
In one part, he crushes a rock to create clouds of red in the water and later in the air. The iron that makes the rock, now flowing down the river, red is the same iron that makes the blood flowing in us red. I guess I'm losing how powerful what he said sounded, but I loved that.
There's something incredibly raw and powerful about his work that reminds me of Maya Lin's work. We talked a little about her work after I mentioned that.
In short, I admire her even more now.

Art makes a difference.
And I think learning how to talk about art will help me understand and talk about many more deeply meaningful things.

2 comments:

  1. It feels like a lot of Andy's art desires something in the center. not all, but lots of circular things (atleast from what i can see on google haha).

    maybe like this?
    http://www.stisidore-yubacity.org/firstfridayadoration/eucharisticnmonstrance.gif

    ReplyDelete
  2. so like I said before, i tried to write a comment here, and then blogger decided to mess up as I posted it.

    Here we go again! =D

    (The following is an assortment of major thoughts about your blog that've accumulated over the last couple of months.)

    First off, you have an awesome blog, and I love reading your writing. I think the frequency of your posts is inspiring--at least, it reminds me to blog more and reflect deeper on my life. So keep it up!

    I think I actually started reading sometime in early May, since I noticed a new follower named "Hannah" in the follower list of a couple other CCF bloggers, and went to check out who she was. I was SO excited and happy to find out that it was you, since it's really nice to find out more about the people you think are cool, but don't often get a chance to have a deep conversation with. xD


    I love "Say It's Possible." Although what really made that song for me was Jay Brannan's cover:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H95hu4vGGog

    (he is, for some reason, half-naked. Maybe think of it as symbolizing the raw and open emotion he's putting into the song so it's a little less disturbing? haha.) From that song, I found Jay Brannan's website, and bought that "Fat is a feeling... not a shape" shirt. lol.


    Don't be afraid to blog about your struggles just because they sound "pathetic and endless." I think it's such a blessing to see how one felt during some particular period in their life. There are feelings I thought I'd never forget, but sure enough, I at least forgot the intensity of my emotions by the time I was over that period. Reading my old blog, however, was a great insight to how I felt and why I did the things I did.

    And I, for one, love hearing more about your life and whatever you're going through. So blog about whatever you feel. This is your blog, after all.


    I really liked "Pretty Dress" by Rosie Thomas that you posted. Nice song. =)


    In post titled "quiddity", the image you created about the sky, "I mean, it's such a clear, unblemished, blue blue. It was so strange scanning it and finding not even the subtlest signs of a brush stroke. You could not tell at all where faint blue became intense blue, it just happens before you realize it."

    Beautiful. That was something that's stuck with me weeks after I read it... even to now.
    I look at a cloudless sky now and I have a much greater appreciation for it. So thanks. =)

    ReplyDelete